Poker is a game that is impossible not to fall in love. Everyone who sat at the game table at least once, imbued with the charm of this high-class card game. The tense and focused atmosphere that reigns in the room at the time of the action, fascinates and fascinates.
Warm up for brains
Playing poker is not only mechanical. During the session, mental processes are actively involved, and in order for them to be as efficient as possible, it is necessary to slightly “stretch” the brain, bringing it to the desired condition. It works the same way as stretching the muscles before an upcoming exercise: it helps the quality of the task and eliminates the discomfort that usually occurs after.
Big mistake - a complete rejection of the warm-up before the game. It is often not only allowed to beginners. The concept of warm-ups prior to the poker game should be considered in the context of the terminology of the sport in order to understand its true value.
This procedure will help to realize to the end how serious the event will be a poker session, because many novice players do not accept this fact. A game that is not taken seriously from the beginning cannot be rosy. A warm-up is a small pre-game that helps improve techniques and develop the necessary skills outside of the gameplay.
The average "warm up" takes three minutes. But if session participants are used to playing long games, they increase it to 10-15 minutes.
If this practice is just introduced before the main game, you can try a short warm-up, consisting of three stages:
- Remove from the field of view all things that could potentially distract the player from poker. At a minimum, turn off the mobile phone.
- Concentrate on errors in the strategy of your game, the player is now carefully working to eliminate. The same applies to the improvement of practices that allow you to maintain psychological balance, the importance of which was mentioned above.
- Relax while doing breathing exercises. If we are talking about a long warm-up, it includes several additional steps. Add them gradually so that the procedure can smoothly and firmly become a habit.
- Attempt to determine the approximate time of the session. This will help to structure your own game, making it stronger than in cases where the player is not constrained by the time frame.
- It is important to think about the purpose of the game. Not a specific session, but the whole game.
- In order to abstract from life problems and experiences, it is recommended to write out all the troubling questions on a sheet of paper before the game, or to speak, recording on a dictaphone. Such psychological practice helps to distract, expressing his problems in the form of a letter or verbally; a person ceases to focus attention on them.
- Light physical exertion before the game contribute to the development of dopamine, which will provide the player with an excellent mood for the entire session. The same goes for meditations and other practices that help you relax.
- You can try to play for some short time. When a person plays fewer tables than he used to, it is easier for him in the process to think about correcting mistakes that he may chronically make.
Step-by-step training from scratch
To start the life of a professional player who can fully earn with the help of poker, you need to learn the rules of the game as thoroughly as possible. Understand the difference between the poker deck and the usual 36 cards, learn to understand all the available combinations. Many players, practicing for years, argue that learning poker is a whole science that cannot be comprehended immediately at home. What to say about the improvement of skills - it can last for the entire poker life.
Features of the poker deck
The deck, which is used now, was created in the first half of the last century. Then its composition began to include 52 cards.
Poker game kits are usually made of plastic. More rarely cards are cardboard, but are covered with plastic sheath. The latter can be attributed to the budget category, since they are from short-lived material and wear out quickly.
The size of each card is 63 millimeters by 88 respectively. The colors with which the suits are designed are no different from ordinary playing decks of thirty-six cards. Classic black can be combined with a variety of shades of red. Recently, cards have become increasingly popular, on which all four suits are painted in different colors: red and black, blue and green.
Shirts of poker cards have two varieties: with fields and without. The first visually look more refined and more expensive. The color of the shirt often does not differ from the classic options: blue and red.
For the cards to last longer, they need the right care. In between games, they are stored in a well-ventilated place, away from direct sunlight. To preserve the aesthetic appearance, make sure that the surface is not mechanically damaged, leaving scratches. When the deck needs to be washed, use a cold soap solution.
It is important to understand that just like that, on some market layouts, in supermarkets, etc., it is not easy to buy quality and nice looking poker cards, you should look for them only in specialized stores.
Description of card combinations
Any poker game requires the perfect knowledge of all valid combinations. According to the rules, it is possible to make up ten different options that go to a certain hierarchy according to the principle of seniority. In the list below, the significance of the combinations is given in descending order - from strong to weak.
- A Royal Flush is a unique combination of ten cards of the same suit. According to the rules, it is considered the most significant among the exceptional cases of "Street Flash". The probability that a player will be able to make it is very low, so the session ends very rarely. Regarding this combination, there is one big mistake - many consider it independent. This myth has arisen due to the fact that in modern pop culture the image of the cards that make up the Royal Flush is a visual synonym for poker itself.
- "Street Flash" - the combination can be described as the most senior. It can be made up of cards of the same suit, following each other according to their true worth. During the session, it may be that several players could simultaneously make this combination. In this case, the winner is the one who managed to get the highest highest card among all those who made it up.
- "Care" - one of the combinations, which is constantly on the ear, thanks to the movies. Its essence is that of the five cards, four have the same dignity. The last, fifth card can be arbitrary. According to game terminology, it is called a kicker. When two and more players were able to collect on Kara, the one whose arbitrary card is older than the rest will win.
- "Full House" is a combination that consists of three cards, united by one virtue, and two more, combined according to the same scheme (For example: three kings and two queens). The combination is inferior to the championship of Caret and Street Flush, but is perceived as quite strong. When formulating a phrase at the table that will indicate that a player has “Full House”, it is necessary to adhere to the principle of “one card of value added with cards of another value”. If several players have collected Full House, the victory is counted to the one who has the advantages of three cards higher than all.
- “Flush” - a combination is considered to be collected if the player has five cards of the same suit, collected in random order. Among the players with “Flash”, the winner is determined by the highest combination card.
- "Straight" - five consecutive advantages of cards, which may have different suits.
- Set (Troika) is represented by three cards of the same value out of five. Less commonly called "Trip". In a controversial situation, which is often the case, since the probability of putting together a combination is quite high, the winner is determined by the value of his kickers.
- "Two pairs" - four cards that form a pair of identical cards. Fifth - arbitrary. The remarkable situation when several players collect this combination is that with the same pair and the same kickers, the winning money is divided in half between all the winners.
- “Pair” - two cards of the same rank and three cricketers. When it is necessary to divide the bank between the winners with this combination, the money is received by the one whose pair will be the eldest of its true value.
- "High Card" is a combination, rated by its significance in the game as the lowest. It's just about winning the highest card. If there are several players with identical cards, all subsequent ones begin to be compared.
Despite the huge number of different scenarios of the game, they all boil down to a single, classic rules, the purpose of which is to collect the most advantageous combination among rivals.
The goal of the game itself, each participant determines himself. For some, it's just a way to relax, enjoy the process, for some it's a sport, but for most, poker is still a game of chance, where you make good money.
The rules and the course of the game
First, they determine the person who will be the dealer for all or several tables. His responsibilities include the surrender and shuffle of the playing deck. If players arrange a session at home, one of them can perform the functions of this figure. In specialized gambling establishments for this is one of the employees - croupier.
Since poker is a game with financial motivation, they make bets before the process. To do this, use special chips that replace money. Put on a stake is folded in the center of the table, covered with green cloth. This is called not only a horse, but a bank or later. A person who refuses to bet during the game is automatically retired because he does not have the right to claim the money available after winning.
Between rates, it takes some time - intervals. Each interval ends when those at the table put the same amount of money on the line. At the end of this period, the dealer deals or changes cards (conducts trading). Also, at the end of the interval time, each of the party members is obliged to reveal the cards, showing their combination to those present. The winner is immediately determined.
Do not forget about one of the most important actions in poker - the auction. They occur in the process of several game rounds, each of which has a specific name, regulated by poker terminology.
- Preflop - the first. It starts as soon as the players are dealt two cards each.
- The flop. The following three cards lie on the green cloth of the table.
- Tren - the last round, suggesting the possibility of trading (replacement), during which one card is put on the table.
- River - the opportunity to make a last bid.
According to the rules of classic poker, there are several options to determine the winner. It’s not always the player whose combination is the strongest. You can understand who gets the bank by the Hai - the highest combination, the low - the junior combination, the high-low - when the money is shared by the owners of the highest and lowest combination.
Rules and how to play
According to the classic Texas Hold'em scenario, a situation is implied when five cards lie on the green cloth of the table, and the player has only two cards. Sometimes the game involves a small initial fee, which automatically increases the bank, regardless of the amount of the bet.
Bets are entered blindly, hence their term - the blinds. This is done by two players following the person who deals the cards. The first of them makes a contribution equal to the sum of half the minimum rate. The second is the whole minimum bid.
The first two cards received by the players will be closed, after which the process of trading in the first circle is carried out. The next round begins when all the participants of the party are given three cards, but now face down. Then another open card is put on the table. If we are talking about a limited variety of hold'em, the bet that was previously fixed must be doubled by all players. The fifth card, which is also put face down, provokes the start of the next round of betting between players.
In the process of each individual trade round, all table participants are given the opportunity to carry out only one action: to place a bet; to equalize it on their own initiative - to agree with the rate that the previous player made; raise it; transfer the possibility of a move or even quit the game.
The probability table of some starting hands in the game
|Starting hand||Number of rivals (4)|
|10 10||75,2||57, 7||45,1||35,9|
The table of starting hands that may come with the least probability
|Starting hand||Number of rivals (4)|
Rules of the game
Omaha Poker is a nine card game. The rules are similar to Texas Hold'em. The only difference is that in Omaha poker players are dealt four closed cards each.
The game takes place in five stages. The first is the setting of blind bets for the initial bank. Next comes pre-flop, when each player is dealt four cards, the shirt of which is turned upwards relative to the table - they are closed. The player who first starts the trade round is called the shooter.
A flop is a stage during which three more cards are placed on the table in front of everyone. After this procedure will be another round of bidding.
Before the final showdown, there is another intermediate circle - the turn, which gives players a fourth community card and another trading opportunity. If, after putting on the table the last, fifth community card, which is called the river, all bets were doubled relative to the initial ones, all those sitting at the table must open up to determine the winner.
How to bet and bargain correctly
The ability to correctly set - the most valuable in poker, as this will allow not only to influence the course of the game correctly, but also to form an individual strategy. Choosing the right time of the bet and its size, you can not worry about serious financial losses in case of failure. With the help of a good bet, it is often possible to manipulate opponents, having worked the tactics of the game in such a way as to finally be able to get the most accessible bank.
In what situations it is reasonable to raise
Having some experience playing poker, a person can make a decision to raise the bet if he is confident in his cards and he wants as many players as possible to fold the cards, refusing further participation in the session. The desire to banally increase the bank or try to take control of the game also takes place, but you should be wary of this.
Raising a bet to reduce the number of players is an excellent strategy, which allows you to leave as few opponents as possible on your way to the bank. The newcomer is advised to adhere to the tactics according to which he will be able to raise the bet to three big blinds, plus adding each time to the blind if someone from the players calls the big one.
Raising a bet can be used as a bluff, since it involuntarily shows rivals that a player raising a previously fixed amount has a really good initial hand. True, for such tactics, you first need to master the technique of maintaining psychological balance perfectly, in order not to accidentally give yourself away with “extra” emotions, reflected in facial expressions or gestures.
Need to call rate
You need to be able to feel well the moment, the circumstances of which say that you only need to equalize the rate without raising it. Ideally, if the combination on hand, in which the player is going to call - to equalize, is so strong that it can also be used to raise.
You also need to remember that if several previous players have already supported the bet, the most logical action would be to do the same. The importance of suitable cards here also holds.
If you summarize all the information that a player needs to know before he decides to make a bet, we can conclude: the right tactic plays a no less important role here than in the rest of the game. Showing an active and aggressive attitude, making unjustified bets, you can confuse the enemy. However, such a scheme of action is suitable only for experienced players who can cope with any situation at the gambling table. The newcomer is recommended to adhere to constancy in actions.
How to learn to win poker
Professional players have been formulated a list of tips, having learned that, the beginner will gradually begin to feel at the table like a fish in water, and his winnings will become bigger each time.
- Increased aggressiveness to a level where the player feels comfortable. A hand showing an active attitude towards the party will be able to collect the most accessible bank.
- Patience. Повышенная агрессивность - это хорошо, но большую часть игры необходимо находиться в более стабильном психологическом состоянии, скидывая большее количество рук, чем разыгрывая.
- Повышенное внимание к соперникам. If you carefully observe the people who make up the company at the gambling table, after a while you can study their tactics, behavior depending on the cards, their ability or inability to bluff in critical situations.
- Analysis of the game from a long-term perspective. It is important to tune in to the fact that learning to play, having subsequently big wins, is possible only over time, absorbing and analyzing the experience of each failure.
- Skill development. Practice is absolutely important in any business, and poker is no exception. Regular training games on online resources, at home with friends or in specialized institutions, will help bring the skills necessary for victory to almost automatic.
Popular online poker rooms
Fans of poker often play not in offline establishments, but on special sites (poker rooms).
Which are suitable for beginners
Having minimal or not well developed skills, it is better to choose the rooms where you can compete with weak opponents. This allows you to train, slightly increasing their capital. These resources include:
- "Full Tilt Poker".
In all the listed rooms, the most comfortable game conditions for beginners are created.
Professionals often play online not only for fun, but they also consistently earn money by choosing rooms where you can play "big" and with serious opponents. These rooms include:
- "Party Poker".
- "Full Tilt".
All these poker sites have high ratings among users, concentrating around themselves only the strongest poker players from all over the world.
Is it possible to earn poker for a living and how much
Sooner or later, this question is asked by all the players, because what could be better than combining your favorite business with making money. Reaching a certain level, the player understands that in the future he could fully provide himself with this, but not everything is so simple.
Indeed, professional poker players can use their favorite game as an additional source of income, but no more than an additional one. Poker is a very risky game, to calculate the course of which is impossible until the end. Every time, sitting at the table, covered with green cloth, you can not know whether you get up because of him the winner. The excitement inherent in many lovers of card games can ruin everything, deprive them of money and send them into a debt trap, which is incredibly difficult to get out of.
It must be remembered that everything must be done not only with pleasure, but also with the mind. Adhere to the rule of the "golden mean", do not go too far in pursuit of thrill and money. Self-control - above all!
- "Teaching is the light." Anyone who decides to master poker should remember that all playing practice is accompanied by a continuous learning process. Learning should be based on both academic information and the experience of their own failures. This will allow you to qualitatively analyze the problems of the tactics of your game.
- You can’t be upset because of the succession of failures that a novice can pursue until he learns all aspects of a professional game: from the ability to keep himself in a stable psychological state, to understanding when his opponents are bluffing.
- You can not play when tired. Fatigue, especially chronic, is able to enter into a state in which the player cannot control the strategy and level of effectiveness of the decisions made.
- You must be able to enjoy the game, as soon as it will stimulate the further development of skills.
Poker is not just a gambling game, but an intellectual game that will help you to “brain” the brain perfectly if you practice it regularly. People who dream to learn the basics of poker from scratch, do not be afraid. While playing, you can feel the deepest moral satisfaction, realizing that at some point your skills have reached a level that allows you to have superiority over potential rivals and control the game process. In addition, if you approach the issue wisely, poker is quite possible to use as a tool for additional earnings.