Payol (sometimes there are forms of "pael", "payol"), or slan - removable flooring, most often of wood, placed on the bottom of ships, boats.
The easiest and cheapest option. Represent a flooring of slats, plywood, sheathed with waterproof fabric. Differ in the small weight, simplicity of assembly. You can make artisanal way. The material often serves marine plywood. Such a moisture absorbing floorboard is minimized, it is durable, does not slip, it is easy to wash. It has sound insulation parameters with low weight. Moisture protection required.
- Payol folding type. Easy to fit into slots. There is no rigidity, planing with this type is uncomfortable, therefore, requires the use of stringers. Suitable for budget boats that are not intended for serious exploitation.
- Hard, has in the design of the H-profile. Inexpensive and unreliable option. Consists of plywood sheets with a small joint surface. To give rigidity and reliability using stringers.
- Hard, folding with aluminum grooves. It takes a lot of space, has a significant weight and cost. But for durability and reliability - the best option.
What is the bottom of the boat to choose? Pros and cons of different options
When choosing a floor-panel, you should be guided by the watercraft where it will be installed.
Rack floor, inflatable, rigid with n-profile is used in small vessels.
If the size of the vessel is more than three meters, install folding flooring with stringers or with aluminum grooves and an increased connection surface. Inflatable keel vessels require the installation of a rigid floor model. High-capacity PVC boats are equipped with payoli from the manufacturer, it is not recommended to replace them with other types.
For calm waters, the rigidity of the floorboard does not matter. For fishing on a quiet lake, you can get by with an affordable and simple construction, assembled by yourself. If the vessel is supposed to be operated in the conditions of a large wave, in this case reliability comes first. Installed solid bottom of the marine plywood and aluminum.
How to make payol most - step by step plan
Before proceeding to the manufacture of the board with your own hands, you need to choose the material with which you will work. Usually it is plywood or a hard sheet of plastic.
Consider the independent production of plywood board.
- We measure the size of the bottom of the boat, taking into account the gaps.
- Making a pattern of rubber or linoleum. The pattern is easier to work with than the drawing. In addition, it is useful at the final stage as a gasket.
- Cut out parts of the payol from the sheet, processing the edges with a file so that there are no burrs. If the plywood is not impregnated, it should be treated with protective impregnation.
- We connect the parts together. For this purpose, we use loops and make an "accordion" of the parts. Fasten the hinges with countersunk head bolts.
- We process the assembled structure. We do it with a file and sandpaper. It is useful to glue the ends. It is advisable to cover the plywood yacht varnish.
- Set between the bottom of the boat and payoli strip (pattern).
If the boat is small, on which you fish or ride in calm weather, it makes no sense to buy an expensive company payol. You can make it yourself from inexpensive materials at home. It can be pieces of plywood, plastic. You can use both loops and ordinary rope for the connection.
There are many types of payol. The choice of a particular model depends on many factors. First of all, you need to think about reliability and safety. Good luck with your choice and seven feet under the keel!