Everyone is familiar with the construction accessory as a mounting foam. Fragments of polyurethane foam sealant can be seen after the installation of windows and doors. This substance of artificial origin is designed to fill the gap, to produce insulation or waterproofing of the room.
Precautionary measures: what should not be forgotten
The conversation is not just about the spoiled thing or the contamination of the skin that is being cleaned. The fact is that the mounting foam is a chemically aggressive substance. And safety guidelines are designed to protect your health.
- When working with foam, it is necessary to protect the respiratory organs from toxic fumes, so use a respirator or mask.
- Eye protection requires special glasses. In case of contact with eyes, immediately rinse them with running water.
- To avoid irritation on the skin of the hands - use gloves.
- The cylinder contains a mixture of gases, so it can not be stored near electrical appliances, leave in direct sunlight or smoke nearby.
Cleaning foam from hands and skin
When performing repair work with their hands, they are the first to be hit. And even if you have protected the surface of the skin from harmful effects, there is no guarantee that a small droplet of chemical composition will not damage the skin. Therefore, you need to be ready to remove the foam from your hands. You can perform the procedure in several ways:
- Medical alcohol is the most benign option.
- Table vinegar will help with light pollution.
- Acetone has proven itself against traces of foam.
- Gasoline removes sealant well.
Improvised means to help
The methods listed above can cause a reaction on the skin of the hands due to individual intolerance. And in this case it is better to use folk methods.
- Method with a therapeutic effect - salt baths. To do this, a tablespoon of salt is dissolved in warm water and placed in the solution for a few minutes.
- Traces of foam can be washed off with soap and a hard sponge or pumice.
- Grate the skin with warm vegetable oil with detergent. Rinse foamed mixture with warm water.
Cleansing is better to complete a fat cream. After that, you can again start repair work.
Spoiled clothing is irreversible
Do not worry if we are talking about specialized clothing, which is not a pity. It is enough to cut the frozen foam from the surface of the fabric and rub the bottom layer with a solvent. Most often, this tool leaves a bright spot.
What to do if the output was damaged?
- In this case, it remains to hope for the quality of the fabric, pattern or color, which will withstand the harsh effects of kerosene, gasoline, acetone or nail polish remover.
- Wait for the sealant to dry on the fabric and scrape it off with a stationery knife or spatula. Knitted things are easily cleaned, leaving no residue. To be sure, you can freeze the spoiled item. Put in a bag and send in the freezer for half an hour. Then eliminate the contamination manually.
If these methods did not help, decorate the stain.
The secret of experienced builders
Professional masters who are faced with similar situations at work will not waste time and effort to eliminate sealant stains. They have a secret.
- When they buy foam cylinders, they buy a tool to clean the assembly gun. It eliminates pollution, is generally available and inexpensive.
- There is a secret, which is not known to everyone. Dimexide or dimethyl sulfoxide can eliminate dirt on the surface of clothes. It should be applied to the fabric with a cotton swab and leave for half an hour. Frozen foam is cleaned with a spatula, and the item is erased as usual.
It turns out that the clothes can be brought into the proper form and the hands can be saved from irritation.
In conclusion, back to the point of compliance with precautions. In addition to the safety precautions that must be observed when working with foam, you should also keep in mind the protection during its removal from various surfaces.
By resorting to chemicals and solvents, you endanger the respiratory system, the surface of the skin of the hands and eyes. Therefore, perform the procedure in a ventilated room, protect your hands with rubber gloves and stay away from open flame. Try not to let the sealant on the surface, thereby save your time, health and strength. And, most importantly, successfully complete the repair.