Honey differs in packaging, flavor, texture and color, because the bees that produce this natural product collect pollen from a variety of plants.
The qualities of real honey
Maturity is the main indicator of quality
- If you scoop a spoon and it quickly drains - immature.
- If you drop a drop of honey on a saucer and the form remains - mature. If it spreads quickly - poor quality or immature.
- Mature is not afraid of prolonged storage. Upon completion of pumping within two months crystallizes. There is no syrup on the surface after crystallization.
- Unripe less useful, not stored for a long time - begins to wander.
- A strong aroma is a sure sign of high quality. With the smell of smoke or fermentation do not buy.
- Noble varieties of linden and acacia have a delicate, sweet and pleasant aroma of flowers.
- In buckwheat more pronounced tart flavor.
- Padov has a faint odor.
Taste is an objective indicator of quality
- A good product has a sweet and pleasant taste without the taste of caramel, fermentation and acid.
- Heather and buckwheat has a tart and specific flavor.
- honey from willow or chestnut with a bitter aftertaste.
Color is a non-objective quality indicator.
- The color depends on the type - light, dark or medium.
- Honey collected from identical plants at different times differs in color. During storage can change color, lightened.
Consistency - liquid and crystallized
- Liquid consistency - pumped out recently. The viscosity of liquid honey depends on the temperature and maturity level.
- 2 months after pumping begins to crystallize.
- The quality of crystallization is not affected. The absence of a process over a long period of time may indicate immaturity or falsification of honey.
How to buy honey in the market
While working on honey, industrious bees try to evaporate excess liquid. As a result, complex sugars are broken down and saturated with enzymes.
Not every beekeeper waits until honey is fully ripe. So the market gets a low-quality product - watery, quickly sours, with a high content of sucrose.
- Colour. Quality distinguished by transparency, regardless of the type.
- If it contains starch, sugar and other impurities, slightly unclear little sediment.
- Unnaturally white color says that the beekeeper fed the bees with sugar.
- Aroma. Qualitative differs fragrant strong aroma. Sugar practically does not smell.
- Viscosity. Dip a wand and pull it out to determine. If it is followed by a continuous honey string - a real one. Poor quality reminds glue. It quickly drains and drips.
- Consistency. High-quality differs delicate and well absorbed into the skin texture. Bad inhomogeneous and coarse structure.
Before going to the market, take iodine or a chemical pencil.
Apply a little honey on paper and smear well. After on the honey plane write a chemical pencil. If the inscription turns blue - flour or starch is present.
4 home quality testing experiments
- Put honey on a piece of paper. Good - if the drop has retained its shape. Bad - wet a piece of paper or spread.
- Put a slice of bread in it. Good - if after 10 minutes the bread hardens. Bad - bread raskisnet.
- Dilute a few drops in distilled water and add a couple of drops of iodine. If blue appears in the solution, starch is present.
- Dip the heated stainless steel wire into the product. Fake - if viscous mass will stick.
Choice of honey in the store
During my life I don’t remember a single day so that there is no honey in the house. Grandma always said that he is much more useful than sugar and even quince jam. It will recharge with energy, help you quickly fall asleep, save you from a cold.
You can buy honey everywhere: at a specialty or grocery store, from a friend, at a market or at a special fair. I buy at fairs where there is a wide selection and prices are below market.
- I recommend to buy sold honey. So you will appreciate the taste and check the quality.
- If the store offers only packaged, be sure to read the label. Quality conforms to state standards. If the label is abbreviated "TU", it is better not to buy.
- According to GOST, the state of the company, the legal address of the company or the individual entrepreneur, the year of collection and the date of packaging must be indicated on the label. There must be an importer or exporter, net weight, storage conditions, quality certificate numbers.
- Do not buy if sugar is included.
What honey is not sugared - padevy
I will describe in detail the correct procedure for sugaring.
- In simple words, honey crystallizes because the liquid form hardens over time and there is a charge of viscous substance.
- The procedure is accompanied by the appearance of sugar crystals. Sugar sinks to the bottom because of weight. Therefore, the sugar begins at the bottom.
- Different varieties crystallize at different rates. Paddy remains liquid for a long time.
- The speed of the process depends on the amount of cane sugar in the composition. If the bees collected nectar from the flowers of mustard, radish or colza, the finished product contains a lot of poison substances, a small amount of cane sugar.
- Some species become thicker when the crystallization is complete. They have sugar crystals, formed during the charge, too small.
What is honeydew honey?
The longest it remains is liquid honey. It is formed simply.
If the summer is dry, the bees produce honeydew honey. They use as a raw material not plant pollen, but sweet discharge.
- This variety has not only vegetable, but also animal origin.
- The color is varied - from light yellow to black.
- Sometimes it is odorless and resembles burnt sugar.
- In terms of composition, After entering the oral cavity for a long time does not dissolve.
- It is cheaper nectar. Widely used in the bakery and confectionery industry.
To make crystal honey with your own hands, add some candied sugar to the fresh honey. As a result, the charge will end much faster.
Finally, I will tell you how to store it, because this process is no less important than the purchase.
Wood, earthenware, ceramic, glass or porcelain dishes are best suited for storage. Do not use metal dishes. If it dims and thickens with time, do not panic. These are the first signs of high quality.